Constipation is an irregular movement of the bowel that persists for several weeks. It is having fewer than three bowel movements in a week. It is one of the concerns in losing weight. Constipation can cause weight gain because there is no constant release of body toxins. It is not common during the HCG diet however there are small cases that constipation happens.
Constipation is rare during the HCG diet. It’s because you will be eating fewer foods, which means that there is an only small waste. Your meal size changes during the HCG diet. It means that when you have infrequent waste movement it is just normal. However, if you see that you are gaining weight ensure that you do something about it.
What are the causes of constipation during the HCG diet?
- Not drinking enough water per day puts you at risk of having constipation. Water is vital for hydration and to flush out fat, excess sodium, and toxins. Water also keeps your feces soft to avoid bloating and constipation.
- Not eating vegetables during the HCG diet can cause constipation. The high fiber content in vegetables plays a role in keeping your bowel soft. Fiber-rich foods are great constipation relievers and can help encourage a bowel movement.
- Constipation also happens because your colon absorbs lots of water from your waste. It makes your stool dry and hard to push out from your body. That’s why it is important to hydrate from time to time to avoid constipation.
How to prevent constipation during the HCG diet?
- Drink plenty of water every day
- Move your body or take a short walk for 2 minutes.
- Eat more vegetables and fruits in every meal during the HCG diet.
- Raw vegetables such as lettuce and cabbage are better to eat than cooking them.
Some things you can do when you are constipated:
- Hydrate from time to time and eat healthy foods
- Vegetables such as cabbage, cucumber, fennel, and radishes are helpful.
- Make sure you are eating a variety of HCG-approved fruits such as orange.
- You can also drink freshly-squeezed lemon juice and water.
- Drink lots of tea to relieve constipation without adding more calories
- If constipation continues for weeks, inform your doctor.
Can you take bowel stimulants while on the HCG diet?
According to Dr. Simeons, you do not have to take bowel stimulants when you have constipation. However, when your constipation continues for one week, you can take some laxatives. Expect weight-loss fluctuations when you take laxatives because most of them have sugar. The best thing you can do is avoid bowel stimulants and consult your doctor. Inform your doctor about the possible cause of constipation.
Magnesium and probiotics are also helpful to relax your bowel. Magnesium is an osmotic laxative that pulls water into your intestine to soften your stool. Probiotics are live bacteria that improve gut health. It controls inflammation, indigestion, and causes of constipation. Consider body detoxification from time to time. It will help you get rid of stubborn waste in your body during the HCG diet.